Day 1

I don’t remember the hospital experience being quite so enjoyable the last two times I delivered. Perhaps the new building helps, the first delivery was at the old Prentice hospital and it seemed literally like a sinking ship. With it’s porthole windows and round shape, the shower in our room didn’t have running water. After Jack’s 30 hour delivery we were sent to a recovery area, lines of beds separated by curtains and a guy with TB next door.

This time it’s a double room for the twins, great room service, TV, comfy reclining beds. I’ve been using the nursery like a free night nurse. Send me the children when it’s time to feed, otherwise someone else watches them, changes them. I think I’m going to miss it. Still, it’s hard to be away from Adam, Jack and Ben.

Yesterday the nurse came in and told me that Sam had hypospadias. It’s when the urethra doesn’t develop properly. The hole to pee out of isn’t in the tip of the penis but on top or bottom. We were told that he could not be snipped by a mohel at a bris, as we did for our other boys. Instead he would need to wait 6 to 9 months and have a pediatric urologist circumcise him.

Today the pediatric doctor came to check him out. Turns out he is completely normal, that the nurse confused Sam with a baby down the hall. Thank goodness they tag them with numbers before they separate them from you!

Otherwise I have been attempting to breast feed the boys at the same time, but they are so floppy and confused about latching that I’ve been feeding one then immediately feeding the other, even if I have to wake him up. Sam has been leading the feeding schedule. Today he seemed more fussy than yesterday and was asking for more frequent feeds. I noticed both boys lips were dry and cracking. My milk still hasn’t come in so I decided to use the infant feeders that I used with both Jack and Ben.

Instead of using a traditional bottle, you hang a bottle of formula above you almost like an IV. Using gravity, the formula drips down a thin tube that is taped to your boob. The baby is latched onto the breast and the small tube feeds the baby formula while it breast feeds.

Afterwards Sam was much calmer. Aaron has been calm the entire time he’s been out of the womb. So far Sam has been fussier and a more aggressive feeder. Maybe it’s their personalities showing through. Or maybe Sam was just hungrier. He had a more tramatic birth experience, and perhaps that makes a boy hungrier?

I still can’t tell the boys apart. If I can’t see a difference by the time I am discharged from the hospital I will keep the hospital bracelets on.

Can you tell them apart?

Pin It

1 thought on “Day 1

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *