The Routine

Now that Angelica has been gone about a month, we’ve finally worked out a routine that works well for all of us. It’s not perfect, but I’m happy with it.

The twins wake up between 4:30 and 5am. This is probably the part I’m most unhappy with. Sam has an internal clock that wakes him up before the sun, taking poor Aaron with him. Whoever said twins don’t wake each other up never lived in my house.

The older boys wake up between 6 and 6:30am. But sometimes one or both of them wander into our bathroom in the middle of the night to go potty.

As soon as I hear the thumping of their feet down the hallway, I go into overdrive. Six breakfasts and two lunches need fixing in the next hour. Adam and I also have the kitchen clean up, dressing four boys, packing up everything for school. Adam has to dress and shower and get to a place where he doesn’t look like he lives in this craziness, dodging sticky hands, random bits of dirt, throw up and poop until he get to work. I just need to look somewhat presentable. Any thing clean paired with a good solid work out bra will do.

If I have time after I’m dressed I try to take out the trash and start the laundry. Then we all rush out the door in a bumble. Even the twins have learned to walk themselves out to the car, shimmy down the back stairwell on their bellies.

Our mini van turns into the magic school bus as we trek to Ben’s then Jack’s school for morning drop offs. Finally Adam drives me to the gym were I get my one hour of complete freedom. The twins go in the day care and I work out.

I find working out actually give me more energy all day. And having some time first thing in the morning just for me makes me feel human.

After the gym if the twins don’t fall asleep in the car there may be time for an errand. This past week I hit Dominicks, Whole Foods, Container Store, and Costco. Sometimes we just come home and the twins shuffle about, picking up objects around the house and messing with them.

The twins eat all the food I buy at the supermarket before I even pay for it.

The twins eat all the food I buy at the supermarket before I even pay for it.

Then it’s lunch, then nap time. The twins normally sleep 1 and 1/2 hours. During this time I prep dinner and do stuff I need to do but never have time. Last week besides dinner prep I reorganized the older boys closets, Adam and I’s closet, filed, registered Ben for the Magnet application for kindergarden, and cleaned out a kitchen cabinet.

I’m pleased to announce that in Adam’s side of the closet I found the glasses case he lost. (He has been using mine in it’s absence!) I also found the second glasses case he bought to replace the first glasses case he lost.

After the twins wake up I let them putz around some more or play and cuddle with them then we go pick up the older boys.

I try to organize a playdate or two if I can muster the energy. Last week Ben had Ivan over one day, then Jack had Timmy over another day. We also met my friend Pam in a park yet another day. Otherwise we normally end up at Jack’s school, on his playground until about 4pm. This week it has been too cold. Although this is the part of the day I have to be the most vigiliant, it’s also the best part of the day. The part where school is out, all the boys get to socialize and enjoy the sunshine, and play.

Play date and dinner with Timmy. Yes, I let them watch the iPad at dinner.

Play date and dinner with Timmy. Yes, I let them watch the iPad at dinner.

Last week, when it was still warm out, I saw Aaron join a bunch of girls throwing leaves in the air and giggling. And Sam join a father and son who were kicking the soccer ball back and forth. They totally welcomed him, were so sweet about giving him the ball. I watched the joy on Ben’s face at seeing Jack every day. And Jack paling around with his school buddies, laughing about things I’m too old to understand.

At Jack's school playground.

At Jack’s school playground.

Ben decides to smooch his snack of gummies all over instead of eating them.

Ben decides to smooch his snack of gummies all over instead of eating them.

After that, we pack up and head home. Jack gets his homework out, I unpack all the back packs, look through the paperwork, clean the lunch boxes, and start dinner.

They are more moments to play for all the kids, then it’s dinner, dessert and bath.

Twins first, then the older boys.

Twins first, then the older boys.

DSC_1009Adam arrives anywhere from the this time until 9pm at night. He tries very hard to get home in time to read to the older boys and put them to bed.

We have about an hour to ourselves and the whole day starts again.

Lately Adam and I have been filling that hour with “House of Cards.” But sometimes it’s just chatting on the couch, or making plans, or watching other things on TV. This is the part I’m happiest with, unfortunately its always too short and happens to proceed the part I’m least happy about, the 4:30am wake up screams screams from the twins.

Pin It

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.